Based at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly), San Luis Obispo, the Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group is a non-partisan organization focused on the risk, ethical, and social impact of emerging sciences and technologies.
26 Sept 2023: We will be giving a talk on technology ethics at CIGI's new Digital Policy Hub.
13-14 July 2023: We will be organizing an expert workshop at Cal Poly on the ethical/social impacts of AI kitchens and robot cooks.
23 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on outer space ethics, incl. security concerns, at Vandenberg Space Force Base, CA.
10 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on technology ethics for the Naval Postgraduate School Center for Executive Education in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
3 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on emerging threats at the Center for Homeland Defense and Security at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.
20 April 2023: Prof. John Sullins (Sonoma State Univ.) will give a university lecture here on experiments with inner dialogue for social robotics, or "the conscience of the machine."
30-31 March 2023: We will be organizing an expert workshop on outer space cybersecurity at Stanford University.
7 November 2022: We will be participating in an expert meeting of Schmidt Futures' AI2050 initiative in Portola Valley, CA.
The Latest News
28 August 2023
21 August 2023
18 August 2023
30 June 2023
22 May 2023
17 May 2023
5 May 2023
24 April 2023
9 April 2023
30-31 March 2023
16 December 2022
12 December 2022
8 December 2022
3 October 2022
12 September 2022
More news here.
• Paper: Deepfake Pornography and the Ethics of Non-Veridical Representations, in Philosophy & Technology
• Chapter: Does Just War Theory Extend to the Space Frontier?, in Military Space Ethics
• Paper: Rule by Automation: How Automated Decision Systems Promote Freedom and Equality, in Moral Philosophy and Politics
• Chapter: Outer Space as a New Frontier for Technology Ethics, in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Technology
• Paper: Big Brother Goes to School: Best Practices for Campus Surveillance Technologies During the COVID-19 Pandemic, in Techné (Society of Philosophy and Technology)
• Report: Artificial Intelligence Ethics and Predictive Policing: A Roadmap for Research, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics 2.0: From Autonomous Cars to Artificial Intelligence, with Oxford University Press
• Report: UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems) Traffic Management: Recommendations for Seamless Integration, with WhiteFox Defense Technologies
• Report: Ethics of Hacking Back: 6 Arguments from Armed Conflict to Zombies, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Vehicles, Ethics & Law: Toward an Overlapping Consensus, with New America Foundation
• Chapter: Why Ethics Matter for Autonomous Cars, in a Daimler and Benz Foundation book
• Report: Enhanced Warfighters: Ethics, Risk, and Policy, funded by The Greenwall Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics: The Social and Ethical Implications of Robotics, with MIT Press
• Book: What Is Nanotechnology and Why Does It Matter?: From Science to Ethics, with Wiley-Blackwell
• Report: Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Military Robotics: Risk, Ethics, and Design, funded by the US Office of Naval Research
More publications here.
| Copyright © Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group
All trademarks, logos and images are the property of their respective owners.